Question
Posted by: Roscoe | 2005/05/30

Neurological Dysrythmia / ADHD

I have a 7 year old son, who through his relatively short school carreer, is continually being accused of not concentrating and of being easily distracted.

He has recently moved school, as we chose to relocate to the country, however he has clearly been "labelled" by the previous school that he attended which has now followed him.

We have had him assessed by a Educational Pshycologist who could find nothing, apart from a slight immaturity in some areas, but the school insisted that he was showing strong signs of ADHD. To date he has had Speech Therapy and is currently seeing an OT.

Through his current school we were asked to have a Neurological Assessment done which we duly did and the Diagnosis given is that he has a Dysrythmia. A 6 month dose of Lamictin was prescribed the script I have not yet filled.

My wife and I are totally against medicating our son as we firmly believe there must be far safer/healthier ways of dealing with this. I am continuously looking for alternative ways to treating the problem and more and more it seems a strong alternative is a dietary one.

Can you perhaps assist/recommend how we approach this?

Dear Roscoe
I think you should check with CyberDoc on this Website about the treatment of dysrythmia. I have never come across any dietary treatment for this condition and can only suggest that use of omega-3 (Salmon oil tablets) to help with the maturation of the nerves.