Question
Posted by: ellie | 2005/11/21

neurofibroma

My husband had a neurofibroma (only one when he was in high school and which was removed) in the location of his neck vertebrae which eventually led to damage of some of the nerves of his left side so that he has very little use of his left hand and also has a little trouble walking. He hasnt had a repeat of this eversince (i.e. for 20 years) What is the chances of our baby developing this? As far as I know there is no other abnormalities in the rest of his family except his maternal grandmother had a white patch in her hair. Has this got anything to do with a neurofibroma?

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Ellie

I was sorry to learn about your husband's NF problems. The condition is very variable, but it is unlikely that the grandmother's white hair patch is a manifestation of NF. Assuming that your husband has NF rather than just an isolated neurofibroma, the chances of any child fathered by him inheritng the NF gene would be 50/50. Your paediatrician could check out your baby for any early signs of NF.

Regards, Maritha & Genecare Consultant Medical Geneticist