Question
Posted by: anon mp | 2007/04/05

NERVE JERKS

HI, I'm a 27 year old female who for the last year has been suffering with a slight jerk in my right elbow. i've seen my gp who prescribed zink tablets that did not work and i've seen a neurologist who also had me on medication that did not work.the sensation is worse when i'm anxious and slightly painful when i'm cold.please advise...

Dear Anon mp
If the neurologist did not diagnose any specific disease like MS and if your nerve tests were normal ( which I hoped they did), I think you should see a good physio. Many of these symptoms are caused by muscle spasms, triggerpoints and other soft tissue problems. When you sort out the problem in the neck/shoulder, the jerk would probably go away. They should also have tested your magnesium, potassium and calcium blood levels to ensure that this is not due to an electrolyte imbalance.