Question
Posted by: Jims | 2005/07/13

Nerve Decompression surgery

Any idea whether "nerve decompression" surgery is done in Cape Town.

Expert ImageArchive

I am sure it is done. It will depend on the site that it is necessary, nd you should speak to your GP about a referral to either an orthopaedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon

3
Posted by: Don | 2005/07/14

Interesting, Laura.
Had the nerves degenerated as a result of diabetes? Do you still experience pins & needles?
Decompression Surgery, as I understand it, is done to relieve swollen peripheral nerves from the “choking” effect of surrounding tissue.

Reply to Don
Posted by: Laura | 2005/07/14

Hi Don

It sounds like a digital neuroma which i had done last year. They actually remove the nerves (similar to root canal) from the site where the nerves have degenerated. It is rather a painful procedure with the end result leaving the feet with a strange pins and needles effect. Adding to that it is much better than the constant ache and pain that i endured before the operation.

Reply to Laura
Posted by: Don | 2005/07/13

I know of someone who had an op to rectify nerves being compressed in his elbows. I've also read about nerve decompression surgery being done on the feet (inside ankle) in the USA.

Reply to Don