Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2008/01/17

Nephrotic Syndrome

Dear Cyberdoc,

I was recently diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome. Please tell me how long it will take for my kidneys to heal, or whether they will ever heal. I know it is difficult for you to tell me, but I would like to know what the everage chances of people with this illness are. My husband and I are also planning to have a baby, how will this effect me to conceive?

Hallo Mandy
It depends on what caused the nephrotic syndrome whether it is reversable.
Please read this article: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/nephrotic/
It won't affect conception, but may be a risk as pregnancy puts stress on the kidneys - you have to discuss this with your specialist before trying to get pregnant.

1
Posted by: Mips | 2008/09/25

I am 4 months pregnant with my second baby. I was diagnosed with monimal change nephrotic syndrome 8 months ago. I was on treatment and was taking Coversyl. I found out about my pregnancy at 5 weeks and stopped taking the treatment. I am currently well and there is no protein in my urine and evrything seems clear. I am just worried about what effects this will have on my baby as there are conflicting ideas from my gynea and renal specialist. Please help!!!!!!

Reply to Mips