Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2008/01/17

Nephrotic Syndrome

Dear Doc,

I was recently diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome. My doctor told me to eat alot of proteins, such as eggs, bananas, meat, chicken, fish etc. However, the more I read on this illness, the more I find out that you actually have to limit your intake of protein so as to not increase the amount of urea (waste) as well as fat in your blood. I asked my doctor about this, but he couldn't give me a straight answer and just told me to eat the right amount of protein a day. Well, how do I know the right amount of protein I should take in? Im confused now, should I eat more or less proteins?

Dear Mandy
The dr may have recommended that you eat more protein because you are at present losing a lot of protein through the kidneys. However it is important that you eat low-fat, lean proteins to avoid ingesting too much saturated fat. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will assess which phase of the nephrotic syndrome you are in at the moment and calculate how much protein and what type you require.

1
Posted by: mariam | 2008/08/28

the foods allowed a 2 year old with nephroticsyndrome.

Reply to mariam