Question
Posted by: LYNDZ | 2007/05/07

NEIGHBOURS' CAT EATING KITTY'S FOOD

HI, ME AGAIN!

MY NEW DILEMMA IS THE GINGER CAT NEXT DOOR...HE COMES INTO OUR HOUSE AT NIGHT WHILE WE'RE ASLEEP AND EATS MY KITTENS FOOD! SHORT OF ASKING MY NEIGHBOUR IF SHE FEEDS HER CAT, I CAN ONLY THINK OF TELLING HER TO FEED HIM WHISKAS (MY KITTENS FAVOURITE) I DONT FEEL IT FAIR TO LOCK MY KITTY UP (AND US) AT NIGHT TO AVOID THIS PROBLEM. WHAT OTHER SUGGESTIONS HAVE ANY OF YOU?

It sounds a bit mean but since most visiting cats first smell all around the window sill etc before entering a house that isn't theirs, sprinkle pepper on the window sill to put it off. Some cats go nextdoor for freeby meals even though they are well fed at home. As long as the visiting cat does not wear a cat flap activator magnet you could install a cat flap for your cat and then keep the window closed.

1
Posted by: Joni | 2007/05/07

Our dogs chase any strange cats that don't belong on the property but leave my cats alone!! Weird!!

But we did have a problem with our Neighbours ginger cat too, I found what worked really well was having a pot or 2 of catnip on the opposite side of the house, this seemed to distract the ginger to fo there, & in the end it stopped bothering to come inside. I still see him now and again rolling in the pots in front.

Another thing you could try is to not free feed too much food at a time, smaller portions more often may help.

Also I like Cybervets idea of the access control catflap.

Reply to Joni