Question
Posted by: LINDA | 2003/12/17

Negavtive calories

About those foods that use themselves up due to the amount of energy needed to digest then and therefore dont add to you calorie intake. I was told that cheese, salmon and sardines are also included in the list. Is this true?

You said that if I want to loose fat I need to cut down on energy intake. So when I exercise am I using carbs, and when I am hungry and dont eat I use fat? What is the minimum calorie intake if I want to use my fat stores for energy in the place of food? (female, 27, 1.69, 54kg)

There is a machine at the gym called the Body IQ. Do you know if this machine is accurate?

Dear Linda
I can't imagine that cheese (energy content 280 kcal and fat content 22g/100g), salmon (153 kcal and 7,3g of fat/100g) and sardines (208 kcal and 11.5 g of fat/100g) can be regarded as negative energy foods! They are, however, all excellent foods which are rich in nutrients and should be included in the daily diet even when slimming. Seeing that your present BMI = 18,9, which is just above the lower end of the normal scale (18-25), I cannot understand why you are so insistent on trying to lose weight. To obtain your ideal BMI of 23, you should weigh 66 kg!!! So please be careful that you don't fall into the trap of an eating disorder and force your body to lose weight, when you weight is just above the abnormally low level. I cannot say if the machine you mention is accurate or not. Your scale already tells you that you are nearly too thin, so I would not worry about the Body IQ machines. Try to relax a bit and appreciate your slender body.
Take care

1
Posted by: Cool machines | 2003/12/19

Hi Linda -

Why don't you check out Body IQ's website - its rather good.

J.

Reply to Cool machines