Question
Posted by: Bea | 2004/10/17

Negative calories? skeptic...

Hi Dietdoc

What is your take on so-called 'negative calories'? Do you think that it is possible for say an apple to give you less energy than it would take to burn it?
I don't know, does the body REALLY has to work THAT hard to digest our food?
It sounds very fuzzy to me. How did they actually determine exactly HOW many calories are being used up digesting one specific food????

Bea

Dear Bea
Digestion is a process like any other in the human body and it requires some energy to digest food. Certain foods contain very little energy (e.g. cucumber, lettuce, strawberries, lemon, grapefruit, etc), so theoretically it takes more energy to digest them than they actually contain. Now some people think that they can just eat these low-energy foods and lose weight, well this is not a good idea as it would lead to deficiencies, including of energy and the individual would get very tired and exhausted. So while these foods are useful for adding variety to slimming diets and filling up individuals who need bulkier meals, no one can exist on these foods alone.