Question
Posted by: Micky | 2004/10/13

Negative Calorie foods

Hi Doc,

I am interested to know how this negative Calorie foods work and if you make a diet from it and add grilled chicken or fish will I be successful in loosing weight?
I know some of the foods are cucumber, lettuce, tomatoe, asparagus, beetroot, cabbage, green beans, onion, mango, chili, chicory, broccoli, radish, carrot, celery, garlic spinach, apple, grapefruit, peach, orange and others.

Apparantly the body uses more cals to burn the food than the foodsource actually contains.

Please advise,
Micky

Dear Micky
In theory you do probably use up more energy digesting these foods than high-fat foods, so you can use them in weight reduction diets. However, such a diet would be deficient in calcium to name but one nutrient. To include calcium in your diet you need 2-3 portions of fat-free milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese in addition to the above mentioned foods. Then there is the problem of not having any unprocessed carbs (such as oats, high-fibre bran, brown rice, durum pasta, seed bread) which supply you with energy and not many calories and ensure that you ingest sufficient fibre and B vitamins. I still think it is a better idea to eat a balanced low-fat, high-fibre diet which includes foods from all the food groups.