Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2006/11/07

Needs to gain weight or will die!

My dad had a successful cancer operation at the age of 78, they removed his bladder and prostrate. Now four months later and he is so thin facing death if he cannot start eating. We have tried protein foods, shakes but he's not eating enough to gain weight instead he is losing. He has no appetite!

Dear Jenny
I am so sorry to hear that your dear Dad is so very ill and not eating. Please for his sake, contact a clinical dietitian IMMEDIATELY (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet for your Dad that firstly tempts him to eat and then ensures that he has the best possible nutrition. This is time when you need professional help for this specific case, which only a dietitian who can assess the patient can do for you.
Holding thumbs for all of you

1
Posted by: Charlene | 2006/11/07

Proetein is fine but you have to increase his carbohydrate intake i.e. Potatoes, Breads, Jungle Oats. Mealie meal is best.

You are really going to have to get a shake with losts of carbs in.

They say beer is also good.

Reply to Charlene