Question
Posted by: Des | 2005/07/28

Needle Prick & OCD

Hi Doc,

I suffer from OCD and have a fear of contamination and HIV. My question is if I had to get pricked by a needle, will I always feel it?

I know I sound stupid, but with OCD, these are some of the fears I have to come to terms with. The reason why I ask is, I was at a private hospital when a lady carring a type of basket which had containers of some sort of liquids (looked like cleaning liquids) brushed passed me with this basket. All of a sudden I started to worry about what if a needle was protruding and pricked me. The only thing I had about an hour and a half earlier is one Somnil sleeping tablet that didn't make me drowsy at that time.

Please help.

Many thanks

Des, you should feel it if you get pricked with a needle, but to put your mind at rest there is no chance that there was a contaminated needle in her basket. All sharp objects (contaminated or not) get placed in special containers as soon as they have been used to protect everybody in the hospital. These containers have thick wall and the needles can’t penetrate them. So that’s one less thing to worry about. :-) Good luck.