Question
Posted by: J-BOY | 2007/12/11

Needing answers, getting none

I'm a 23 year old male who needs answers regarding my health. I've had blood tests, EKG, checked for diabetes etc and the only thing I've been told by the specialist who did the EKG and other blood tests is that I've got a stomach ulcer. The reason I got tested for Diabetes is that I did some reading up and felt that there are some similarities between Diabetes symptoms and my symptoms. My symptoms include : dizziness, numbness in hands and feet, blurred vision more frequently, constant thirst ... I also had a finger prick test done which revealed 6.5 then 5.9 and finally when fasting, it was 3.9. My Diabetes test came back fine but I can't go on feeling this way without an answer and something to beat / fight. Could you please help me by advising me what I could do next or request from my GP. I do have M.S in my family but tested negative for that and to answer a question that the Doctor always asks : yes, I work in a stressful environment and don't really exercise. Please help.

Shane

Dear J-boy
Other possible causes of your symptoms can be a kind of migraine or even a growth in the brain. I think you should also have a neurological examination by a neurologist as you may need a brain scan too.
I agree, your symptoms are very suspicious of diabetes but the fasting blood sugar excludes this clearly.

2
Posted by: Dr Bets | 2007/12/12

Dear J-boy
No tumour markers are used to monitor tumours not diagnose them. A neurological examination by a neurologist would be sufficient.

Reply to Dr Bets
Posted by: J-BOY | 2007/12/12

Thanks for the advice. Is there a type of blood test that I could have done to rule out this as a problem or would I need to go for the brainscan? I've heard of a blood test called a tumor marker or something like that; is that something that could give me an idea about any possible problems relating to my brain?

Reply to J-BOY