Question
Posted by: Pieter Le Roux | 2004/02/05

Need to put on more weight

My son is 16 and about 1,8m tall. He weighs 67kg. Her is an absolute fitness junkie and spend about 2/3 hours a day in the gym pushing weights. He then does and hour in the morning before school. He is continually eating but does not put on weight. He has a great build and is beautifully cut but he wants to put on about 6-8 kg. Any advise?

Dear Pieter
Because your son is still growing, it is too early to predict how much he will ultimately weigh. At present he has a perfectly normal BMI of 20,7 (normal range 18-25). He is probably burning up any additional energy he ingests by exercising so strenuously. At present it is important for him to eat a well balanced diet in quantities that satisfy his appetite and energy needs. He should not use high-protein supplements or any steroids as this can damage his growth and health. He can certainly increase his carbohydrate intake concentrating on carbs with a low Glycaemic Index (GI), because carbs are the best fuel for intensive exercise and they have a 'protein-sparing' effect. (Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right Approach' and read the articles on the GI). You will find that he may need to eat more snacks and even include products such as Ensure or Nutren (ask at the chemist) to boost his food intake. If he is very highly strung or active, then it may help to do relaxing exercise like yoga and deep breathing. Hopefully he will gain the additional weight when he reaches the end of his puberty.

2
Posted by: smiling | 2004/02/05

Contact me for a natural program on how to gain weight.

Reply to smiling
Posted by: rosa | 2004/02/05

i woul like to pick up more weight, is there something you can suggest I use to pick up weight.

Reply to rosa