Question
Posted by: zan | 2007/05/07

Need to loose weight but not achieving..

Good morning Doc

I am a 22 year old woman who is struggling with weight, i have been like this since starting my adolescenes, and i dont know how to manage it. Im weighing 90kg at the moment and i eat healthy and take walks here and there. I tried gym but i get tired quickly. I have also tried pills and mixtures but they just induce the eating and not lower it. I dont know what to do about this, my body is too heavy for me and my boobs are plummeting downwards. Just to mention, i am on the 3 month contraception injection. What do u think is the cause of this and what can i do to get help, fast, cause this is depressing me alot. My clothes dont fit me and i dont like what i see in the mirror everyday. My skin and digestive system is fine, but the weight gain is the problem. Recommend anything doctor....

Zan

Dear Zan
There are a variety of factors that could be causing your weight gain and preventing weight loss, namely: 1) Use of female hormones can cause weight gain or loss, depending on the individual - discuss this with the prescribing dr to find out if you can use an alternative type of contraception; 2) Hormone imbalances - underactive thyroid, insulin resistance or imbalance of female hormones causing Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - ask your dr to test your various hormone levels; 3) Depression can cause pronounced weight gain or loss depending on the individual - if you suspect that this may be the cause, consult a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist; 4) excessive energy intake without adequate energy expenditure. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Because you probably need to lose more than 20 kg, I would also recommend that you discuss the use of Xenical with your dr to give you a good start to your weight loss programme. Once you have lost some weight and are more mobile you will be able to do more exercise. You need to do at least 30 min or more per day.