Question
Posted by: Desparate | 2006/11/07

Need to loose weight

Dear Diet Doc

I am 1.60 m and weigh 73kg, i feel so down at how much i weigh, i am on glucophage at the moment for pcos and just dont know what the best diet is that i should be doing right now.

Please can you help me

Dear Desparate
Your present BMI = 28,5 which is in the overweight range, so it would be beneficial if you could reduce your weight to about 61 kg to get back into the normal range. You mention that you are using Glucophage, so I deduce that you suffer from insulin resistance. t is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based in foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), because this promotes weight loss and improve blood glucose control and it helps for the depression!