Question
Posted by: Ina | 2004/02/26

Need to loose

I am trying to loose my last 3 KG. I have been going to the Gym for a while now, do both Cardio and Weights but seem to have increased by 3KG instead of loosing my 3 KG. I know that muscle is heavier than fat but I wanted to loose 3 kg, maintain that weight and then tone what I had. What I am doing wrong? I eat very healthy and am starting to think that I need to starve myself to get to my desired weight.

Dear Ina
Don't try starvation as this makes your body shut down its weight loss systems and increases the likelihood of re-gaining the weight you have lost. Also if you are very close to your ideal weight (hopefully not already below?), then it does take much longer to lose the last few kgs. Rather just stick to the routine and give your body time to adjust. Calculate your BMI (click on Tools on this Website) and check that your BMI is approx. 22 - if it is lower then your body will probably resist further weight loss.
Hang in there

1
Posted by: Nutrition Nut | 2004/02/26

You've answered your own question.

What's more important, the reading on the scale, or your tape measure?

If you continue to lose fat and gain muscle, you will get heavier.

Remember, the so-called "ideal" weight tables are based on people who sit on their jacks all day and do no exercise. If you are training then you will be heavier, but your body fat ratio will be lower.

Having more muscle than the average Jane is a huge advantage, because one tends to lose muscle mass as one gets older.

Reply to Nutrition Nut