Question
Posted by: Nats | 2003/12/02

Need to know ideal weight to fall pregnant

Length 175, Weight 51kg. What should my weight be to start
a healthy pregnance?

Your BMI is about 17. This is quite low and may well mean that you will not fall pregnant easily. Try to gain some weight and then use Nix's advice to work out when you are in the correct range.

1
Posted by: Nix | 2003/12/03

why don't you calculate your BMI (body mass index)? If you type in your height and weight it will give you the correct range for your height. I think you can do this on the health24 homepage.

51kg sounds quite low, but my sister in law is about that and really thin (just her body type) and had a baby last year and is now pregnant again! I know if you are very under weight you can have problems, but if your periods are normal and your doc gives you the go-ahead, then all should be fine!

I've found the BMI calculator on health24 for you - here it is:

To work out your BMI you need to divide your weight in kg by your height in meters squared. Now this is not as complicated as it sounds. For example if you are 1.65 m tall and weigh 85 kg, then you would use the following formula to calculate your BMI:
weight / height squared = 85 / 1.65 x1.65 = 85/2.72 = 31,25

So if you weigh 85 kg and are 1.65 m tall, your BMI = 31,25

If your BMI is lower than 18 then you are underweight and may also be experiencing problems such as anorexia, bulimia or an eating disorder.

If your BMI is between 18 and 25 then your weight is normal and you don’t need to go on drastic diets, but you should try and maintain your weight at this level to prevent weight gain.

If your BMI is between 25 and 30 you are overweight and need to try and remedy the situation.

If your BMI is greater than 30 then you are obese and need to immediately do something to reduce your weight.

Reply to Nix