Posted by: sad puppy | 2008/07/24

need to know

hi doc i had a miscarriage in feb this year at 10 weeks i would like to know can i get pregant again? im 20 years of age and weigh 110kg with possible hypertension could this be the cause of the miscarriage? i would like to maybe wait a few years before starting a family. could you prescibe a birthcontrol pill or whatever that would not be to strong for me or cause problems when am ready to have a child. i would like to wait about 3 years. an i would also like to loose weight before trying again.

Dear Sad puppy

The fact that you conceived spontaneously not to long ago would certainly mitigate in favour of you falling pregnant again. However, I would advise a weight reduction program, as obesity is linked with not only increasing miscarriage rate but with infertility and hypertension. In the interim you could use either a low dose contraceptive pill such as Yasmin or alternately the trans - dermal contraceptive patch called Evra.

Answered by: Dr.M.I. Cassim