Question
Posted by: isabella | 2005/12/14

need to gain weight!!!

Hi doc!

I seriously need to gain weight(weigh 48kg). I had my thyroid checked and all the tests came back negative. For a long time I heard that taking in a lot of protein can help a person to GAIN weight, but now I just read an article that was talking about a high-protein diet to help LOOSE weight. I'm seriously confused. I eat like a horse, but can't seem to gain weight.

What can I do to get some curves?

Dear Isabella
Basically you need to eat more of all the food groups (proteins, carbohydrates and good fats like mono- and polyunsaturated oils and margarine). I have written some articles on the subject of weight gain. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. I have also consulted with a representative of Fresenius Kabi, a company that have a supplement called Fresubin (with or without fibre) that can assist with this problem. Phone them on (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231 and ask about this and other Nutritional Supplements. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals.