Question
Posted by: Fotogenic | 2004/11/10

Need to boost immune system and gain weight

I am currently taking spirulina tablets to boost my immune system, i am also trying to gain weight. I don't how many tablets i should take cause sometimes i stop taking them cause i feel that they make lose wight instead of gaining weight. Please advise how much should i take and give some tiips on what else can one take to gain weight. I am 31 years old and weighing about 55 kg and I need about 10kg more. Please assist!

Dear Fotogenic
I can't really comment on Spirulina and would advise that you ask at the chemist or health shop where you purchased these tablets. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles.