Question
Posted by: Emotionless | 2007/06/13

Need to become myself

All my life (without realising it) I have been blocking out all emotions, I dont get happy or excited. Dont smile much or feel anything towards any situation. I do get miserable and cry and do suffer from depression at times when Im stressed, anxious or worked up about something. I need to do something but dont now what, medical aid is finished and cannot afford the outragious fees to see a 'shrink'. I know I should be feeling something and in some situations I get confused as to how I should feel and react, then I just get upset and bottle it up. I think I have done this as 'self preservation' to prevent myself getting hurt by others reactions and words and from being rejected. What can I do, or where can I go for help, I hate feeling 'Numb'!

Hey, tried the outrageous fees required to see a plumber, these days ? Are you concerned with the strength of the feelings you're talking about ? Or a concern that somehow they're not the RIGHT emotions you think you ought to be feeling ? I haven't felt particularly happy or excited lately, but then nothing particularly happy or exciting has happened to me lately. When you can aford it, seeing a CBT oriented counsellor could help you, without taking too much time about it, to find better ways to protect yourself against feeling hurt and rejected, without numbing off other desired feelings

2
Posted by: Emotionless | 2007/06/15

Nice to know Im not the only one! Am female, 28.
Answer to cybershrink- I know they are not the right emotions I ought to be feeling. When I get a present from someone I know I should smile and be happy and laugh but I hav to force myself to smile to let them see some sort of good emotion. When my dad passed away I knew I should be upset but my IMMEDIATE reaction was nothing, blank, numb!! I didnt really know what I was supposed to do cause I hav stopped myself from showing emotions. Now that I know I have blocked them out I want to fix it and start showing my true feelings, but I dont know where to start!! If someone does something to make me cross I tell myself "never mind, leave it alone- dont want to start an argument' but now all these situations hav bottled up and i want to explode with emotion, but i dont know which emotion is the right one!!!!
Emotionless2 do you feel the same???

Reply to Emotionless
Posted by: Emotionless2 | 2007/06/14

Thank you, at last I feel normal. You have put what I am feeling in words, exactly the way it is! I never ever get exited about something pleasant, only way to get reaction out of me is to make me very angry or dissapointed. I've never tried to analyse it, and to be honest I dont think I want to. At least now I now that there are other people like me. So by the way, are you male or female? I am female and 46, and have been like this forever.

Reply to Emotionless2