Question
Posted by: Tori | 2004/10/26

Need some kind of supplement for muscle building

Goodday doc

I've started to gym 2 days ago and i was just wondering if there is a supplement that i can use to help me speed up the muscle building process.
I just want to tone. So nothing to serious.
I'm currently on a very healthy weight, i just need to tone up for the summer.
Hopefully nothing to expensive.

Hi Tori

My advice is to wait - you've only just started training and so you have this enormous scope of opportunity ahead of you to see what the training can do for you. I would therefore say that you should just keep this going, and then in a few months, once you have seen what the training is producing you can consider using supplements.

The only time I would condone the use of supplements is when a person is sure that their diet is inadequate. Here, a vitamin supplement is usually adequate, because we in the western world are never deficient in nutrients like protein. So, someone wanting a protein shake just to be sure that they are eating enough protein is probably wasting their money, unless they are really eating very poorly/inadequately.

The other possible exception is someone who is trying to gain weight, and doesn't have the access to the food that is needed - again, here a protein shake may help to add to the protein stores in the body, and this is probably a safe practice. But, other mass builders, creatine, steroids, fat burners etc. I would not find any reason to recommend. So, if you are very sure and willing, then a protein shake is probably the best way to go. If you buy a reputable name, or a product from one of the established companies, the risk of contamination goes down as well.