Question
Posted by: Lea | 2006/11/13

Need some advice - what breed to choose

Hi Guys and Gals,

Can anyone please give me some advice. I have decided (after careful consideration) that I would like to buy a dog. (I had a German Shepherd which I had to put down a year ago due to "old age" complications.

I love a GSD but I live in a townhouse complex with a fairly large garden but do not feel it is suited to a GSD. I love having an inteligent dog that can be trained and that is quite lively and that can bond with cats as I have 2.

I looked at Border Collies, but the garden is also not suited for their lively personality either.

Any suggestions on what breed to get? I don't have kids and do work during the day, but I love walking in the evenings and would like to have a doggy-buddy that can go with me. PS - it can't be a Great Dane, as doggy will sleep in side ......

Please, any suggestions will be great, but please, don't suggest Jack Russel, they are way too busy for me.

5
Posted by: Esme | 2006/11/14

We stayed in the same type of environment before but are now staying in a house with a garden. I've got two English Bulldogs and I can assure you that I would never swop my dogs for anything in the world. They don't need too much space - they are housetrained but sleep in their own kennel. Indeed a good idea getting the two of them....

Reply to Esme
Posted by: Lan | 2006/11/14

How about a Spaniel? I also live in a townhouse and my garden is not large, but I try take them for walks on a daily basis. They are medium size dogs and absolutely beautifull.

Reply to Lan
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/11/14

Definately not a Dachsi or jack russel in a town house garden. You need a dog with a low exercise requirement. Look into the Giant Schnauzer. A very good website is www dot dogbreedinfo dot com. They have a section where you can answer questions such as size of garden, time you will spend exercising the dog etc. and then suggest breeds.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: WR | 2006/11/14

Hi There!

Well, being a GSD fan myself, I say you can get a GSD and keep it in a smaller garden, but then there are a few things that must be kept in mind; Firstly excercise: GSDs don't need excercise the WHOLE day, and for that maer, most dogs sleep the bigger part of the day. We have a fairly big garden, but I still take my 2GSDs for an hour run/walk in the morning, and the sameagain in the evenings. Yes, this meant that I have to get up earlier in the mornings (we start at 5am) and in the evenings the walk starts at 7pm. (It is doing wonders for my health BTW- haha).
Secondly; the pooh gets picked up every day, leaving things smelling better, the yard with less flies and a cleaner playing field (should they want to..)

But now, I'm thinking, is a speific breed that important to you? Why not get a dog from a welfare agency and then you can see what size the dog is (if you're getting an adult) and you can as the staff about the activity levels of the specific dogs, and then you can make your choice based on that info!

Good luck with your choice!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Joan | 2006/11/13

Listening to your routine and that you live in a town house i would suggest a daschund, a lot of people would say oh no not a worshond, but they are awesome they love cuddling and sleeping under the blankets they do get along with cats as mine do they have been with cats since they were pups and even sleep all together on my bed. They have awesome personalities and love going for walks, runs and playing. They might be small dogs but mine are convinced they as big and viscious ans Rottweillers. I work all day aswell and go for long walks along the river near my house in the evenings and the daxies go swimming when its hot they absolutley love it.
They are super intelligent and learn very quickly they have a mind of their own sometimes but if you put your foot down from the beginning then they know there place in the heirachy.
They do get lonley if on there own but you have cats which will keep it occupied.
Best of luck let us know what you decide upon.

Reply to Joan