Question
Posted by: Porky | 2004/02/13

Need some advice

I weigh about 54kg and I am 1.63m. I do not have any good eating habits. I rarely eat anything during the day, and eat only at night. I consume a lot of pills to suppress my appitite. I don't want to be fat. I need good guidelines to get myself motivated to start a healty lifestyle. I have been trying to fall pregnant for almost a year now, with no luck. I need an eating plan that will be easy to follow, because I give up very quickly! Help!!

Dear Reader
I am very worried about you and that you may be suffering from an Eating Disorder. Don't try to fall pregnant until you have sorted out this important problem - you will be doing your unborn baby a great disservice if you don't eat a balanced diet during conception and pregnancy. Your present BMI = 20,3, which is low, but still in the normal range. Because of your poor eating habits and use of appetite suppressants, which you are probably already addicted to, I would strongly urge you to consult both a clinical psychologist and a dietitian - you need help to get out of this trap and you won't manage it alone. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. Ask your dr to refer you to a clinical psychologist ASAP and get that help to wean you off the appetite suppressants and to learn better coping skills.
Take great care

1
Posted by: Nutrition Nut | 2004/02/13

At 54kg and 1.63m, you can hardly call yourself Porky.

Firstly, your approach can only lead to severe nutritional deficiencies. I strongly recommend that you find an enlightened dietician or alternative practitioner who will advise you on a complete range of nutritional supplements.

You can find a comprehensive basic program on www dot drrath dot com.

You must eat nutritious food. So, stay away from bread, cakes, biscuits, sugar, flour, maize meal, potatoes and things made from those ingerdients. Stay away from margarine and everything containing hydrogenated vegetable fats (trans fats).

If you eat only good protein (meat, fish, chicken, etc) and good quality fats (like olive oil, flaxseed oil, butter, etc) and lots of vegetables and salads, and some fruit (fruit is not as nutritionally dense as vegetables, and fruit contains quite a lot of sugar), then there is no reason for you to get fat.

Get into the habit of eating 5 or 6 small meals a day. You shouldn't go more that 5 hours without eating. And ditch those pills.

If you fix your nutritional profile it will definitely improve you chances of getting pregnant.

As for easy eating plans, what could be easier? Just stay away from junk carbohydrates. That's easy to remember, and because you can eat enough (protein, fats and vegetables) to be satisfied, it's easy to stick to as well.

Reply to Nutrition Nut