Question
Posted by: Emma | 2007/03/29

Need Motivation

Hi CS,

Welcome back! I hope all went well and that you are feeling much better.

I have been rather poorly myself for about the last 6 months. I went for an MRI last week and now my headache is being treated and I am slowly beginning to feel better. As I have CP I put myself in a wheelchair while I am sick (to prevent myself from falling). Now I have become very weak and I should excercise to be able to walk again. The big problem is that I lack the motivation to do this! Also, nobody has time to help me exercise, eg go for walks or go swimming on weekends. Unfortunately I cannot do these things alone.... I just don't know how and where to start, and even the exercising I can do alone, I just don't want to do. I am so fustrated with myself. I need help to help myself!

Thanks.

Isn't there some national CP or neuro support group which could advise ? There must be other people in your town with a similar predicament --- working on exercises together helps motivation, and shares the burden on helpers, too.

4
Posted by: Emma | 2007/03/30

Hi RMC, where to find these people that is the big question. Yes I can drive and I work from 8 till 5 Mondays to Fridays. I get home at 5.30. Then there is cooking and housework, a bath and bed. Only to start all over again the next day at 5.30 am the next day..... No wonder I am not motivated to do anything else! I live and work on the East Rand.

Reply to Emma
Posted by: RMC | 2007/03/29

what region do you stay in, surely you can find other people that can't keep a fast pace who could do something with you. are you able to drive?

Reply to RMC
Posted by: Emma | 2007/03/29

Hi RMC, I have heard of them. My concern is that I will not be able to keep up their pace and I would need someone to support me while walking as I have bad balance all the time. So that is why I have not gone that route.

Reply to Emma
Posted by: RMC | 2007/03/29

have you tried walk for life?

Reply to RMC