Question
Posted by: n | 2007/06/07

need info on natural vs caesar

I am pregnant and looking for a truthful response on what the pros and cons are for C-Sec vs natural birth. I'm not opposed to an elective ceasar, but am concerned about the recovery time.

as far as natural goes, besides the issue of not knowing when it will happen, i'm petrified of vaginal tearing, and stretching. i have a friend who after a natural hated sexual intercourse and obviously fearful that that could happen. What about issues like incontinence?

i've also heard that while c-s can affect baby's lungs, natural can cause developmental problems?

is all of this true? where can i find honest info on the above mentioned concerns?

There is extensive literature available on the internet about both vaginal and c/s deliveries which can be confusing- metaanalysis studies are the better literature reviewed articles to look at. There is certainly now literature to support that it increases the chances of prolapse if a traumatic delivery with particularly forceps or tearing of the pelvic floor with poor repair, may increase this likelihood of prolapse as a female reaches the menopause. However, 'pregnancy on its own' also causes laxity of ligaments despite the mode of delivery which can cause prolapse in the menopause. The major pro of a natural birth is there is no anesthetic risks if an epidural is not requested in a natural birth.
If natural birth on average caused developmental delay there would be far more people with mental problems which is not true. The only time that this occurs is when women do not go for regular antenatal care and their pre-labour assessment is not made that a'difficult' delivery may result in trauma to a baby's head.
Size of the baby in utero, maternal conditions like heart problems etc are all weighed up individually prior to delivery.
No pregnant woman that I have ever met is not without fear about natural birth.
EVERY WOMAN DOES NOT NEED A C/S!