Posted by: PMS - Extreme | 2008/07/07

Need I say more?

Dear Cyberdoc

I have been writing to you off and on for ages (in and out of hospital for excessively high BP at certain times, lots of tests).... brain scan, cholestrol, blood tests, X-rays, thyroid - and all was was normal. You are not going to believe it (or maybe you will). They traced it to extreme PMS, and I mean extreme to the extent that I get panic attacks during it. I have an uncontrollable temper (in fact I am controlling it but other people still notice that I am snappy and snarly), aggression, tearful, angry and craving for sugar with PMS. My boyfriend of 12 years says I turn into a demon (he almost left me till he made the connection), I usually have a wobbly at work, road rage, (a huge fight in a shop this month as they slammed the fruit down/brusied it and it costs so much so I refused to pay for it and suggested they tell their staff not to man-handle the merchandise), every single thing that bothers me is then huge. I am on 2 x Talomil and Urbanol during this time (7 days before and then reduce the dose as I feel better). I bleed for 7 days. I am 42 and according to the hormone tests it is not menopause. There are millions of jokes about this, but seriously its not that funny. How on earth do I help myself before everyone in my life leaves me? I have tried everything but I just feel so angry before I get it (my cheeks burn red literally, migraine and light-headed) and I become a witch, even hate myself. I don't want any reader to make a stupid comment (yes its that time) because its quite a serious problem. Its affecting my life. So, what do I do or take? The rest of the time I am am a lovely and sweet person. My mother says she does not care what the tests say it is menopause as my gran was like this (whom I take after strongly) and she is surprised that my grandfather managed to stay married to her during her menopausal phase. Is there some conclusive test or some product that really does help. I have been told that a condition like this actually exists and it is medically treatable? or the Talomil is not working. I want to break up, move house, leave my job and a week later its like hey what was that about!!!

Thanks very much,

Dear PMS
I agree with you, this is not funny. The way you describe it, I think it could be Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, a severe form of PMS. There is a strong hereditary factor.
Diagnosis: taken from article from American Academy of family physicians:
In most menstrual cycles during the past year, five (or more) of the following symptoms were present for most of the time during the last week before menstration, began to remit within a few days after the onset of the mensturation, and were absent in the week postmenses, with at least one of the symptoms being either (1), (2), (3), or (4):
Markedly depressed mood, feelings of hopelessness, or self-deprecating thoughts
Marked anxiety, tension, feelings of being "keyed up" or "on edge"
Marked affective lability (e.g., feeling suddenly sad or tearful or increased sensitivity to rejection)
Persistent and marked anger or irritability or increased interpersonal conflicts
Decreased interest in usual activities (e.g., work, school, friends, hobbies)
Subjective sense of difficulty in concentrating
Lethargy, easy fatigability, or marked lack of energy
Marked change in appetite,
Sleep disturbances
A subjective sense of being overwhelmed or out of control
Other physical symptoms, such as breast tenderness or swelling, headaches, joint or muscle pain, a sensation of "bloating," or weight gain
The disturbance markedly interferes with work or school or with usual social activities and relationships with others
A symptom-free period during the earlier phase of the menstrual cycle is essential in differentiating PMDD from preexisting anxiety and mood disorders.

It is possibly caused by altered sensitivity in the serotonin system in the brain in response to fluctuations in female hormones.

According to research, Fluoxetine works better than Talomil and is actually registered for this indication.
You can also try to take the following supplements:
Vit E 600 iu per day
Magnesium 500 mg per day
Calcium 1000 mg per day
Vit B 6 100 mg per day
L-tryptophan 6 mg per day

Avoid too much salt, caffeien, nicotine and alcohol.
Light therapy also helps

I would strongly advise you to see a psychiatrist to help you with this - you can't help that your brain transmitters is over reacting to hormones but the right treatment may give you much relief!

Let me know how you are and whether a change of medication and adding supplements made a difference ?

(Reference : - if you want to take with to the psychiatrist)