Question
Posted by: zoe | 2007/08/02

need help2 lose weight!

hi doc! had a baby 4mnths ago. pregnancy full term 86kg (b4 pregnancy 50kg) now 58kg. my height is 1.58. What is my BMI and how can i loose the extra 8kg?

Dear Zoe
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. The fact that you have already lose 28 kg is stunning! Your present BMI = 23,2 which is practically ideal (for women a BMI of 22 is usually regarded as ideal). You do NOT have to lose 8 kg, only 3 kg to have a nice ideal BMI and not be practically anorexic with a BMI of 20. To only lose 3 kg, I would recommend that you reduce your fat intake slightly and eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, fat-free milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese (to provide the 1200 mg of calcium you and baby need every day), lean meat, fish, 4 eggs a week and wholegrain cereals and starches, plus 2 tablespoons of olive oil or polyunsaturated margarine a day. Take baby for brisk walks in the pram every day and the last 3 kg will melt away.
Enjoy the baby