Question
Posted by: Poppet | 2007/03/20

need help with 14 year old daughter,

My 14 year old daughter has got symptoms we are very worried about. Emotionally she is ver stressed, we are going through a divorce and she hasd been diagnosed with depression, she was hearing voices telling her to commit suicide and she self mutilated for a while. her medication is 5mg of cipralex a day and 50mg of lamictin a day. the past week she has been very tired all the time, sweaty palms, blurred vision, dizzy and no appetite. The other evening she fainted and was out cold for about 5 minutes which felt like a life time, a similar episode happened two weeks ago and we admitted her to hospital, all they could find was that during the night her blood pressure was too low, however thet did not diagnose anything or provide treatment. She has also has an EEG which was normal. Help I am very concerned about her and do not know where to turn from here???

Expert ImageTeen expert

firstly i would suggest you consult with the doctor who prescribed the medication asap given her presentation. if this wasnt a psychaitrist i suggest you see one for further specialist advice.

children caught in the middle of a divorce experience very high levels of stress and this can present in a number of ways. there can also be a hope that if they stay ill their parents will not separate but of course this is not a good reason for you to not separate, as a destrucitve marriage can be more damaging long term than the stress and trauma of divorce.

my main advice is to remain in close contact with the professionals managing her care, and if she is not in therapy to consider this as a matter of urgency.