Question
Posted by: Nick | 2005/07/29

Need help what to do

Ive been trainin n on diet, lost 10kgs, i use to eat for comfort and it is coming back. I have had sum horrible experiance in the last few weeks. My dad passed away and our house burnt down completely gone. Ive jus been eatin anything and i dont feel like ive gained but i honestly dont know how im gonna get back on to diet n training again. Im finished n im only 20, i got abt 15kgs more to loose n i dunno how im gonna cope, please help me fitness doc please.

Hi Nick

I am sorry to hear of your bad experiences. It's not place to say, but perhaps in a time like this, you need to look at getting support from a professional source, certainly in terms of how to cope with this stress. You obviously had a good thing going for you before you had to stop, and so you should take a great deal of heart from that. You can do it, you've done it before, and you can do it again, but I think that a priority must be to first deal with what has happened. I know from experience that doing exercise when you are mentally not up to it is the hardest thing in the world, so I don't think that you should force it, certainly, but getting back into some sort of exercise may also help you cope. So, perhaps regarding exercise, you can just refocus your approach to the training. Rather than making exercise the means by which you lose weight, rather look at it as a means to get away from stress and worry, and a chance to get out and lose yourself in some physical activity. Try to find ways of enjoying the exercise, to prevent it from becoming work and in the meantime, please consider seeking support from friends and professionals, you are not alone.