Posted by: Dave | 2008/08/17

Need help urgently, young pup

I have a 4-5 week old toy pom male pup, the breeder assured us he was 6 weeks old and in great health when I picked him up yesterday. We were worried about him as he just didn' t seem very happy. Apparently he is only 4 weeks old and not doing very well. She has him on Eukanuba puppy food and according to the vet his digestive system is not fully developed and he should not be eating solied food so we now have in on Royal Canin 1st age milk. I am just worried as he hasn' t poo' ed the whole day and he had a enema today cause he was constipated and he did poo then but not since. We are rubbing his tummy and his anus with a warm damp cloth to simulate digestion as the vet told us to. I just want to make sure that he is okay and by when he should be passing a stool and what else we can do to make sure the little one makes it.

Dear Dave

Just remeber to wipe the anus as if licking, in one direction from bottom to top with wet, warm cotton wool. You can also try some lactulose to help to prevent constipation. Ask your vet for some.

Posted by: Tash | 2008/08/20

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice guys - very much appreciated also to let you know - Griffin ( the puppy ) is doing very very well, Paid a visit to the vet this morning and he is healthy and happy.

Reply to Tash
Posted by: Tinkerbell | 2008/08/18

Hey Dave, I hope and believe your pup will make it. I can' t believe some people, that sees an animal only as money.

Reply to Tinkerbell
Posted by: WR | 2008/08/17

Shocking! Those are the so-called ' breeders'  that give other breeders a bad name!
Jip, I agree with Chill, post his name and area here (and for good measure his cell.....?). If he is a registered breeder report him to the association.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/17

Why don' t you post the name of the breeder on here? That person deserves to be boycotted, in my opinion. I' d also be reporting them to the Kennel Union, if I were you. It' s a disgrace for someone to be treating puppies this way..

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/17

If follow the vets instructions to the letter you will be fine.

By 4 weeks tho he should be pooing by himself ??? Its fairly common with large breed pups to start weaning them at three weeks .

I dont think I should tell you on a public forum what to do to the breeder howver !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Carol