Question
Posted by: HDP | 2004/12/03

Need help getting a toned body

Im a 17 year old boy and I've been to many trainers about a exercises to tone my muscles and loose body fat but nothing seemd to work. I am even following a eating plan. I train 6 days a week 2 times a day but Im just building muscles insted of toning them. I don't want to look like a body builder I just want my six pack to show with out me flexing. What advice do you have for me to do.

HDP

HI HDP

The most important thing about training is not so much how often and how many times a day you train, but at what intensity you train. You have to remember that at 17, you are probably at just the right age to begin building muscle, and so any weight training you do might just be the right stimulus (Depending on your genes of course) to build muscle. Therefore, I would back off the weight training almost completely. Here, I'm speculating that what you are doing currently is some cardio like cycling, running etc., but a lot of weight training workouts. i would reverse this completely and do more cardio and less weights. Of course the weights are still important, but I think that part of your problem is that you are overdoing it on the weights. Remember, more is not necessarily better, and if you want to lose body fat, then I believe that you have to shift your focus from weight training to cardio. Don't worry you will still get toned from this, provided you keep going with the weight training at a VERY reduced level, but you will lose body fat and that is the difference between a defined six pack and just having strong muscles.