Question
Posted by: ck | 2005/07/07

Need healtht alternative

Help, I feel like I am going nuts. I have always had a sweet tooth and have munched on sugar free gum and sugar free clorets throughout the day. Now I have stopped smoking (2 months) and am even more dependant on the s/f gum and s/f clorets. My major dillemia is that the sugar free clorets are out of stock EVERYWHERE, its a manufacturing problem. Meanwhile, I have had to turn to Cherry Halls as a replacement, which is not good as it is not sugar free. Besides the fact that I have put on 5kg I don't think all the sugar and uncontrolloble nibbling will help with weight loss. I seem to have such an increased appetite as well, is this normal with stopping smoking??? I seem to hold it together more or less in the day but when I get home especially after dinner, I start snacking on sweets and cornflakes and raisins.
Is there perhaps a miracle food out there that is sugar and fat free but will satisfy sweet cravings as well (not fruit) Dibetic sweets are an alternative I know, but ghastly expensive.
ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!

Dear CK
I did answer your question on 5 July 2005 and suggested low-energy snacks include celery sticks, carrots, baby tomatoes, and plain, unbuttered popcorn and exercise to counteract this tendency to gain weight after stopping smoking, which does often occur. There is alas no miracle food which is sweet but does not contain calories, except the sugar-free gums. Diabetic chocolate may contain no sucrose, but it has a relatively high energy content because it contains quite a lot of fat. You will have to force yourself to stop snacking on sweets and cornflakes and raisins until this urge passes, which it will do given time.
Hang in there