Question
Posted by: Deb | 2006/07/21

Need chewing toys advise

I have 2 10 month old min daschunds. They love playing with toys and chewing. I have spent a fortune on toys and chew things for them (everything is bought from a pet store), but the problem is that the plastic ones don't even last a day. They totally ruin it and I take it away from them, because I am scared they swallow the small pieces of plastic that they chew of.

The soft toys don't even last an hour. They pull all the stuffing out and try to eat it...

Then I got them those rope toys. That lasted 2 days and I had pieces of rope all over the place.

Then when I give them hooves and those bones that you also get form the pet stores, they chew it up within a day and it makes them sick.

What can I give them to play with and chew on, that is not going to make them sick and that will last for at least 2 weeks or a month. It is a bit heavy, because I have to buy 2 of everything so they don't fight. They do if the one is playing with a better or different toy than the other.

It is very important for them to have toys and chewing things, because if they don't then they get up to serious mischief.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Unfortunately indestructable toys will cause dental problems. There are a number of chew toys made specifically for dogs that are more robust than others. Your local Vetshop should be able to supply you with some toys that last longer. There is a range of bone-shaped toys made by a company who makes leads and collars in Cape Town - know the one?? There are rawhide leather chews made specifically to keep dog's teeth clean and made in different sizes. Hooves are probably too hard for the dog's teeth but we don't have evidence to prove this yet.

4
Posted by: Carol | 2006/07/22

All dog toys are flippin expensive!

Kongs also become dangerous missiles , my boxer Miki used to love to throw hers around in the sitting room , and of course the thing bounces in all directions ... nearly lost a TV and a fish tank.

Hooves work wonders with my two , but as WR says only give them when you are away .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2006/07/22

All good ideas... I would just like to get off my chest, though, that I think those kongs are utterly ridiculously expensive. A decent sized one is nearly R200! I'd rather get hooves: I put some liver pate inside, and then tightly wedge in some dogbiscuits - takes my dogs ages to winkle those out!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Lin | 2006/07/21

You get toys called Kongs! Wonderful things! You can fill it with peanut butter, or freeze some water in it for those hot days and it keeps them busy for hours. I also bought my Dobermann a tire. Its about 30cm wide, from our Vet's shop. You do get smaller ones. I also bought a very hard plastic dumbell...trust me if my Dobie cant ruin it your sausages wont be able to. You get very hard plastic balls that slide open on the one end. You then put some of the doggie pellets in and close the slider halfway. Every now and then a pellet or treat drops out. Fun to watch them with this. All these toys come in different sizes. Where do u live? Maybe I can reccomend a vetshop close to you that I know stock these. I used to be a vet assistant and still have the suppliers names and numbers. Tell me if your vet doesnt stock these... I'll give you the suppliers name and then you could ask your vet to order it for u!

Reply to Lin
Posted by: WR | 2006/07/21

Hi There!

Try big bones you can get from your butcher. You can either have them cut in big pieces (like soup bones), or giv them as is (whole). They will DEFINATELY NOT finish them in 2/3 days! What also works well is to have your butcher cut them in half (length wise) and this allows them to get to the marrow. I have GSDs and this keeps them busy for a while!

Hooves and rawhides etc should (in my opinion) not be left for dogs the whole day, cause (as you experienced) they either get bored or finish them way too soon. Give them the toys while you're away, but put them away once you get back, and give them some physical attention (ie playing, chasing etc). This will sort dominance issues (before they happen) as they will realise you, the dominant 'dog', give the toys and take it away. You're the boss. It is also a great way to start some simple obedience training (fetching etc).

Good luck!

Reply to WR