Question
Posted by: Starting Again | 2005/12/03

Need an effective way to start again

I had breast cancer and had undergone chemo and radio therapy this last year. It affected my thyroid and sent me into an early menopause. I do take medication for my thyroid, but still have very low energy levels, especially in the mornings. I struggle with water retention and my weight for the first time in my life. I do eat healthy, but battle to get exercising and loose weight. Everything seems to happen slower than I have been used to. I own a Lateral Thigh Trainer. can you help my with some program I can follow? I don't want to under or overdo it.

Thanx

HI there

You need to gradually get into an exercise programme that is based largely around cardio training. You do have this problem with low energy levels, and so whatever you do, must be done within the confines and restraints imposed by this lack of energy, but just as is the case for anyone else, your programme to lose weight and get fitter must be worked around cardio exercise. I don't know what a lateral trainer is, to be honest, but it doesn't sound like something that will be terribly effective. That's not to say it won't be helpful, but it can only work as a small part of the complete programme, which must, I repeat contain cardio, and then weights as first priorities.

My advice for a programme is that you check the Fitness page of this site, then click on Programmes. Here you will see a number of programmes and the shape up series and the walking specific series are very good options. You can begin these at a very easy level, so you should manage to improve steadily as you progress.

The final advice that I can offer is that you should try to find a friend with whom you can train. This makes an enormous difference and you will be super encouraged if you know that someone else is relying on you just as you rely on them, so make this a priority.