Question
Posted by: SP | 2007/02/28

Need advise, very stressed

Hope someone can help. I recently separated from my husband as he is involved in a case of fraud and got me involved as well. I had nothing to do with it that's why I left him when I found out. I am also in alot of debt becos of him as I'm under sequestration. I do have a lawyer and he told me he is getting another attorney to oppose the sequestration as he does not have time to do it himself. The problem is I have already paid this lawyer a lot of money to handle my case and to get another attorney to oppose the sequestration is going to cost me even more.

I'm not doing a very well paid job and I don't know when I'm gonna pay off all of this debt.

I'm so depressed over the break up of my marriage and now to go through all of this is really getting me down. I'm staying on my own and even though I do have the support of my family, I still fell so worried. My parents stay in another province and I just have my sister up here.

How do I handle something like this. I keep asking myself why this had to happen to me cos I did nothing wrong besides trust the wrong person. I'm trying really hard to make a new life for myself but it's really difficult.

Please advise

Have a chat with the Law Society ? Surely lawyer one isn't entitled to any payment whatsoever for the sequestration part of the case, as he isn't doing it ? He owes you whatever was paid for that [lus interest at full current rates, as well as having to arrange for a good alternate lawyer to do that case for you. It should not cost you more because he has decided to become busy with something else having agreed to handle this matter.
Surely also the lawyers need to look not only at preventing you from being sequestrated for the actions of your ex, but at helping you to eventually recover all costs and losses from him, however long that might take.
I can imagine how hard this must be fore you --- being anninnocent victim is never pleasant, even without the added bitter twsists this situation gives rise to. I'm sure we all wish you well in getting through this and moving on to the happier times you so richly deserve