Posted by: ME | 2008/07/08

Need advise

My husband have a severe gambling addiction.When we met he had a gambling problem but is was not like it is now.It is getting worse with time.He gambles everyday.If there is money in our house or our bank account he is restless.He can't sit still he walks up and down in the house.We are toghether for more tan 20 years.Sometimes I feel like I am mad already.He usually use other peoples money to gamble since he is without work for most of the time.If someone sends him he uses that money it does not matter if it is 10.00 or 20 000.His condition has a severe inpact on me and our children.He went for counseling but it seems like nothing helps.His sister also have a gambling problem but not so severe.His younger brother stop gambling.His younger brother is a alcoholic.There father die when they were small.What could be the problem?His familie says that he was a good person before he met me.They think that I have something to do with him getting worse everyday.His condition is really worse.He don't have control over his life and he is very negative and depress everday.He saw many psychologist and went for prayer but nothing seems to help.Our children lives are also very difficult they aare also depressed and are severly affected by his desease.Our lives are falling apart.Is it maybe because he lost his father early?I feel ashamed of him because sometimes I don't know how to tell peolple not to send him somewhere.Because he is not working people like to send him to do things for them than he use that money.It is a terrible situation that i'm in.In Cape Town there ic a clinic that specialise in gambling addiction but the docter don't want to send him because she says it all depends on him,but I feel there is something under the surface that needs to be treated.I want to send him but I am not sure if it will help him.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

IS he is indeed such a very severe problam gambler as you describe, then he needs to see a proper senior psychologist using CBT or something similar, to get this under control, and some meds also help to reduce such impulsive behaviours. Make sure that NOBODY sends him any money, and discuss his problem with the Responsible Gambling Program at one of the casinos, which could even arange to have him banned ( if that is how he gambles ). I don't know of any other clinic as such that specializes in this problem, but most experienced shrinks ought to be able to help.
I don't understand why your doc wouldn't refer him to a clinic with a special interest in thsi problem, though perhaps the doc meant that your husband couldn't be treated compulsorily, and would have to want to stop and to accept and work with the help provided.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.