Posted by: Crusader | 2007/12/12

Need advice on my dad


We as a famliy suspect that our dad is in a manic phase. Symtomps are grandiose ideas in business, spending flamboyantly and pressured speech. We know what needs to done in obtaining in a diagnosis, but in the meantime the is a question about the decisions he makes pertaining to money and business related. I dont think certification is an option because it creates gossip and i don't think its easy to get out of shold he recover on the proper medication.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

I can be a really tough decision. Has he seen a shrink in the past, or is he under the care of one now ? If so, discuss this with the shrink, who should be able to advise usefully based on real knowledge of the man. If he hasn't seen someone, persuade him asap to see a shrink for assessment. Certification is an option, but generally applied when there is really sinificant risk to his lifem or that of others. It may also be possible to appoint some sort of curator to handle his business affairs, but you'd need a legal opinion on that sort of remedy. I understand your concerns about his reputation ---m but making foolish and wild decisions could damage his reputation far more than orderly proceedings to give him help and support

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.