Question
Posted by: RT | 2007/12/14

Need advice

Im happily married with 2 children but need advice how to handle my sister's situation. Her husband lightly physically abused her and mentaly - my sister has nothing left. He even went as far to tell her that he does not know why God wasted his time making her. She left him about 3 months ago and their devorse went through about a week ago. She moved in with me and my husband and we are fine with that the only problem is that they have 2 children togeter and when he phones her "about the kids" he upsets her in such a way that she said that she think it will be better if she kills herself. How do i get through to her to tell him to go "fu**" himself and to put the phone down in his ear when her goes on.<br><br><br>I love my sister very much and it breaks my heart to see her in such a state.

As physical and mental abuse is involved, try calling POWA or some similar local group that specially works with this type of problem. But from the sound of it, she urgently needs to see a good local shrink (at least a good GP) for assessment of her depression and suicidal thoughts, and to start receiving help with that, which may include medication but should also include CBT style counselling. Maybe also, discuss this with her, and make an arrangement that she has no need to speak to the abusive rat at all, and when he needs to call about anything genuinely affecting the kids, he should speak to you or your husband, not to her, and he will probably not have the guts to try to be abusive towards people who WOULD be prepared to tell him what he ought to do with himself.