Question
Posted by: toby | 2004/03/11

need advice

I have a healthy lifestyle, I do Calanetics 2 times a week and try to use my Health Walker for 30 min 3-4 times a week. I think I eat healthy, oats & banana for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and prunes and apples for morning and midday-snacks, vegetables and chicken and brown rice, I only eat ovenbake chips and hardly ever sweets and crisps. I only drink water and Tab or Coke-light, never coffee or tea.
I have one big problem. I am constipated. Sometimes I don't go to the toilet in days. I have tried Natura's Detox Bowel cleanser with great sucess, but I am afraid to use it permantly, because I do not want my body dependable on a pill. Please give me some advice.

Dear Toby
I agree that it is not a good idea to become dependent on harsh laxatives as this can result in loss of natural bowel motion and cause deficiencies. The prunes you eat should be helping with regularity, but it may be more effective to soak them overnight in hot water, boil up with 1 -2 teaspoons of honey and to eat them at breakfast with your oats and some of the cooking water. You may also need to increase your intake of insoluble fibre which is mainly found in wheat bran. Buy wheat bran at a health shop and start sprinkling 1 teaspoon over your breakfast cereal for 3-4 days, then increase to 2 t for 3-4 days, till you are ingesting 1-2 Tablespoons a day. Also drink 4 cups of water a day in addition to your other liquids to help the fibre to swell and promote peristalsis. You may also benefit from using 1-2 tablespoons of linseed oil a day as your diet may be so low in fat, that it is making you constipated.