Question
Posted by: LES | 2004/02/19

Need Advice

I have just found out that I am pregnant (2days ago) and am currently without a medical aid. I have always had a medical aid up to 4 months ago, when I got divorced. I am planing on keeping the baby. What are my options now? Can I still sign on to a medical aid? I already have a 3-year old daughter, but she stayed on my ex-husband's medical aid. Can I get a medical aid only once the baby is born and sign on as a new family?

Expert ImageArchive

I trust congratulations are in order. Unfortunately if you are off a medical aid for more than 3 months a medical aid has the right to impose a 3 month waiting period and a pre existing condition. So while you are entitled to join a medical aid at any time there are some things that they can do which helps them manage their risk, and in your case I would almost be certain that the pregnancy will be excluded.

If your intention is to join a medical scheme it is better to do it now rather than wait.