Question
Posted by: Friend | 2004/02/18

Need a therapist

Dear Doc
My friend, a young attractive mother(20yrs old) has had numerous failed relationships. When she meets a guy, she falls head over heels in love and like all previous relationships, they fail after a few weeks(they dump her). In between boyfriends, she feels desperately lonely, although she has friends and family around her all the time, she believes that she has to have a man beside her, to make her feel loved, to wake up in the morning with, etc. With each failed relationship, her self esteem takes a knock and it reassures her that she is not wanted. She is a lovely person and somehow I cannot seem to convince her that she does not need a HUSBAND! to make her life complete. That is what she is looking for. I suggested that she see a therapist to help her deal with things, since she's had a complicated life and had to grow up early. What type of therapist/counsellor would be appropriate for her and where do we find one - East Rand, Benoni)

Dear Friend,
I'm surprised none of our regulars has weighed in --- YET ! It sounds to me as if she needs a confident woman therapist, with a pro-feminist orientation, who apart from working on traditional self-esteem issues, could focus also in the primary issue that a woman on her own IS NOT INCOMPLETE. A relationship between a man and a woman is, ideally, one between two complete, whole, persons, and not like a transplant of a spare limb.

2
Posted by: Casper | 2004/02/19

I can put you onto someone (a female therapist) - what is your email address?

Reply to Casper
Posted by: Friend | 2004/02/18

If anyone can refer me to a female therapist, I would be most grateful. PS. Thanks Doc, I appreciate your feedback.

Reply to Friend