Question
Posted by: Emotionally Exhausted | 2004/11/18

Need a Life

I am a recently divorced woman who does not seem to know how to change my life. My only friends are my work friends who have families and I can't seem to meet people anywhere as my hobbies are very solitary ie reading and writing. Please help me get a social life! I am lonely.....

Dear EE,
As others say, this is actually a common problem, though ignored by the media and marketers. Think through other areas of interest which could involve meeting others. Music ? Concerts or gigs ; check local papers for clubs and interest groups --- maybe a book club. Gardening ? gardening clubs. Maybe get involved in some charitable / NGO work, interesting, worthwhile, and you generally meet a better class of people !

3
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/11/19

The internet is a good way to meet people - it's emotionally safe, provided you take the necessary precautions, and ensure that you don't become so desperate that you fall for one of the many, many married players who hang around. Be careful, but there is access to people from all walks of life, and joining a forum in which you share interests with others is a better way to go than the chat rooms.
There are many forums dedicated to writing for example.
Look for making same sex friendships, and from there your social circle can be broadened.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: G | 2004/11/19

Need a life welcome to the real world there are many of us in the same boat male and female, and it gets worse a you become very wary of people when you re-enter the main stream of life, I would recommend you look for a divorce support group in your area or join a chat group on the net yes use normal tactics to check out the weirdo’s and so on but that is a good starting point.

Reply to G
Posted by: bush | 2004/11/18

Never mind you r not alone there r plenty more of us out there with the same problem give yourself a pat on the back cause you have taken the first step to starting a new social life.

this is the way to start a new social life by contacting friends whom u don't know and asking for help.

Hey why don't you go to the movies for starters.

Reply to bush