Question
Posted by: AJ | 2004/10/13

neck sore after crunchies

My neck muscles start hurting when I do crunchies - what am I doing wrong, I'm sure this is not supposed to happen. According to the Virgin Fitness instructors in my V-core class my breathing is fine - please help.

Hi AJ

You are probably just very tense when doing them, and when performing the crunch, you are probably actually activating the neck muscles quite a bit. Obviously making a conscious effort to relax may help, but it sometimes helps to pick a spot on the ceiling and then focus on the spot the whole time - this prevents you from touching your chin to the chest which is a sign that you are tense and using the neck. It will also help to focus on the stomach muscles - remember that the movement should be only in the abs, and only around the hip joint, if anything else is moving, it's taking away from the crunch movements.

Hope this helps