Question
Posted by: Francois | 2005/06/08

Neck injury - tingly fingers

About 4 years ago I had an accident - smacked my head against the drivers window. Wasn't too bad (didn't even bleed - have hit it much more than that!) I went to a Chiro who said that the disc right under my skull was moved slightly to one side. He 'clicked' it back in place for me. I've had occasional neck stiffness but nothing to write home about.
I play soccer and we go crashing about and headering balls. Twice now I've taken a ball to the side of the head (I'm a defender so I'm talking about when someone takes a shot at goals with some serious clout and I happen to at least get my head in the way) and I've heard a number of "clicks" that sound just like Chiro clicks. Also, headering leaves my neck very stiff the next day. Lately I have been lying in bed (on my back) and my ring finger and pinkie on both hand starts tingling. My wife says I'm going to end up paralysing myself - I'm generally the 'rough-housing" type.
Should I be worried about my neck and these tingly feelings?
What should I be doing to avoid problems down the line?

Expert ImageChiroDoc

You seem to be developing symptoms of a nerve root irritation - the original injury may have left you with a weakness in that area, and your sporting activities are further irritating the lesion. Consult a chiropractor for a further evaluation - and try to take it easy !!!