Question
Posted by: Shena | 2007/06/25

neck injury but missing my exercising

i have a neck injury from a car accident that happened on 30 January this year. it has been treated and still in the process of treatment, i stll get my days where the pain is so uncomfortable but i try keeping it warm at the same time. before i had my accident i had a very good exercise routine untill it had to be set aside for a while. i would like to know how i can still maintain my weight or keep active with exercising without affecting my neck in anyway. is there a way to do that?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Shena:
It is difficult to give you advise without a diagnoses of yuor injury. However, if the pain you are receiving is a result from muscle guarding, (this is when your neck muscles stiffen up to prevent excessive movement around your neck area)< wearing a neck brace would decrease the pain.

The exercises that I advise you to perform are activities that produce no impact to your body andhas no twisting or jarring movements. A good example would be the stationary cycle machine. It would also be wise to wear your neck brace during your exercises.

I strongly advise that you consult with a physiotherapist to assist you in the rehabilitation process to help strengthen the muscles around your neck area and increase the pain free range of movement. Also a Biokineticist could work closely with the rest of the team and could provide an exercise program that would maintain your fitness without causing further injury to your neck.
Go well