Question
Posted by: Mardi | 2007/07/26

Neck and shoulder pain

I am a fit and healthy 50 year old who has a family history of arthritis and rheumatism! I injured my neck whilst body surfing about 8 years ago (whiplash) and ever since then I have suffered from a stiff neck and severe neck and shoulder pain! I take salmon oil capsules and arthroguard dailybut still have constant pain and stifness! I also have chronic pain in both shoulders and a type of stiff shoulder which makes funny noises when I move it! I exercise and swim regularly, but this problem is hindering my exercising! I also regularly suffer from bursitis! Certain foods like meat and tomatoes aggravate my condition! Please help!

Dear Mardi

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I suggest that you consult a Physiotherapist, for a course of treatments. I also recommend that you take anti-inflammotory medication, i.e. Voltaren for a 10 day period, as well as a muscle relaxant, like Robaxan 750mg.

If the pain and stiffness persists, you should make an appointment with a Orthropeadic Surgeon, to have x-rays taken of both your shoulders and cervical spine.

You should also have a gout screening test done, regarding the bursitis/arthritis, aggravated by certain foods, in order to eleminate gout.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: Mardi | 2007/07/30

Thanks for your advice Doc! I forget to mention that I also have a family history of gout and I have recently suffered from chronic gout and take Colchecine daily!

Reply to Mardi