Question
Posted by: Pat | 2007/06/22

Neck

Hi Doctor,

My job function involves working in front of a laptop computer all the time and as a result, I have a pain running down my left arm and at times down my left leg. I had an x ray done and it showed that my disk spaces are narrowing and I have been recommended to use a soft collar on a tempoary basis. Wearing the collar does help to a great extent. When the collar is removed, the pain comes back if I am working on the laptop. The pain comes back also when my head is lowered to read the newspaper. Are there any remedies or cures, etc that can be done to correct my situation? I am 62 years old and working in the same environment for 36 years.

Dear Pat
I really think physiotherapy may be useful - one tends to get muscle spasm that worsens the problem and the physio will teach you specific exercises to strengthen the muscles.