Question
Posted by: Justine | 2005/12/14

Naverapine

To all the pregnant mommy's to be & those that have already given birth to healthy HIV- babies, what kind of medication are u or were u on, where did u get it from, its becoz I was at the clinic today & they gave me 1 small white tablet (nevarapine) which Im supposed to take on the day of labour & ONLY when I start having labour pains. But u see what I dont understand is what that tablet is gonna do to protect my baby, becoz as far as I know HIV is highly transmitted when the woman has contractions, & they told me only to take the tablet when Iv started having contractions. U guys Im really confused here please help me out what can I do to protect my baby boy....

Dear Justine,
I want you to read an article on a website:http://www.aidsmap.com/en/docs/5416032E-A9FB-4351-9863-5D7F04ED8E07.asp
Nevirapine is controversial. There are studies that proved that it does protect your baby, our minister of health in SA is not very convinced. It is very toxic to the liver and that is why they only give you the one dose during labour. If you want to talk to somebody knowledgable, I can suggest Dr Baraldi in Pretoria who specializes in HIV. You will be able to get his number by phoning Telcom 1023.

3
Posted by: grace | 2014/01/27

am positive an i alredy giv bth an i wnt 2 go 2 school what must i giv mma baby boy

Reply to grace
Posted by: Seli | 2013/08/30

Am left wt three weeks to deliver,at the clinic they gave me ATROIZA,am confused coz its written NOT be taken by pregnant woman,plz help me ive no tym

Reply to Seli
Posted by: NOMA | 2005/12/14

MY DAUGTHER IS 6 YEARS OLD I TOOK NAVERAPINE, AFTER BIRTH SHE TOOK AZT . SHE HEALTH BIG GIRL SHE IS NEGATIVE. GOOD LUCK

Reply to NOMA